Ex-DSP, SHO among five booked for releasing ‘drug smuggler’


GUJRANWALA: A former deputy superintendent of police (DSP), a station house officer (SHO), a sub-inspector and two others have been booked on charges releasing an alleged drug smuggler from police custody after receiving bribe at Pindi Bhatiyan.
Hafizabad district police officer told the media on Sunday that Pindi Bhatiyan police sub-inspector Riyasat Ali was directed to shift an alleged drug smuggler, Meer Zaman of Peshawar, from Qila Gujjar Singh police station, Lahore to Pindi Bhatiyan Sadar PS. The DPO said the SI took the suspect along without mentioning his arrest in the record, in connivance with the station house officer.
Later, the SHO Khalid Khan and DSP Anjum Saqib Ghumman handed over the suspect to one Malik Amanat after taking bribe from him, the DPO added.
During investigation, the (former) DSP Ghuman, Khalid Khan, Riyasat Ali, Amanat Ali and Meer Zaman were found guilty. In the light of the probe findings, a case had been registered against the guilty police officials and two others, including the suspect, under sections 344, 221, 224, 225 and 109 of the Pakistan Penal Code.
FACTORY FIRE: A fire erupting in a plastic factory here on Sunday gutted a huge quantity of plastic goods, besides destroying machinery.
According to factory workers, three of them — Shujat, Bashir and Raahat — were working on machines when the fire broke out allegedly because of a short circuit and rapidly engulfed the machines and the building.
The workers rushed out of the factory through its emergency exit to save their lives.
After getting informed of the incident, firefighting teams of Rescue 1122 and Gujranwala Electric Power Company (Gepco) reached the spot and started extinguishing the blaze.
Meanwhile, Gepco staff suspended the power supply to the factory and the adjoining buildings to stop the fire from spreading.
District Emergency Officer Sayed Abid Kamal said it took the firefighters around three hours to extinguish the blaze.
According to Rescue 1122 staff, no one was injured in the incident.
The factory owners claimed hundreds of finished plastic chairs ready for delivery turned into ashes, while five moulding machines were completely destroyed in the blaze. A huge quantity of raw material worth millions was also gutted, they claimed.

Comments are closed.